Welcome to Canada

Each year a third of a million immigrants make their homes in Canada, one of the most welcoming countries in the world. They seek and find opportunity, a high standard of living, stability, safety, free and excellent health care, clean air and water, affordable housing, cultural diversity, a growing economy, a bright future.

To find out how you can immigrate to Canada, call today for an affordable initial consultation. After an hour and a half, you will know your best options and leave with a concrete plan for making your Canadian dream come true, with or without more help from a lawyer.

As a lawyer and an immigrant, I have helped hundreds of people to come to Canada temporarily or permanently. I have won visas for people who had been turned down, even after other lawyers had given up. When I worked at the Federal Court, I recommended decisions on cases relating to immigration or refuge, and the judges almost always followed my advice. I know how to present your case to the immigration authorities and, if necessary, the courts at all levels.

How can I immigrate to Canada?

There are dozens of ways to immigrate to Canada as a permanent resident. Qualified workers, investors, and entrepreneurs are especially welcome. Relatives of Canadian citizens or permanent residents may be eligible for sponsorship. Some options are open only temporarily or to small numbers of people with special characteristics. Some are offered by the federal government, others by one province or territory. The rules change frequently; programmes come and go. Temporary residence is available for travellers, students, temporary workers, and people visiting relatives.

With so many possibilities, each governed by its own rules, you need to know the best choices for you. An initial consultation will reveal your best chances for immigrating to Canada. In the meantime, learn the most important thing to do when applying for Canadian immigration, refuge, or citizenship.

How can I become a permanent resident of Canada?

You can become a permanent resident on economic, family, or humanitarian grounds. You and some of your relatives may qualify on economic grounds if you can become financially established in Canada. Skilled workers and self-employed persons in many professions are eligible. Special opportunities are open to business people, entrepreneurs, and investors. Students and temporary workers in Canada can also achieve permanent residence on economic grounds.

If you are related to a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who lives in Canada, you may be eligible as a family member. Your relative may apply to sponsor you for permanent residence by agreeing to support you financially for several years.

Immigration on humanitarian grounds is open primarily to refugees but also covers some special situations.

There are many ways to acquire permanent residence on economic, family, or humanitarian grounds. After an initial consultation, you will know the options that are best for you.

Can I become a Canadian citizen?

Yes. As a permanent resident, you may be eligible to apply for citizenship after only three years in Canada. You may or may not have to prove a basic command of English or French and some elementary knowledge of Canadian society, history, and government. Free services will help you to meet the requirements.

As a Canadian citizen, you may obtain a Canadian passport (one of the best passports in the world), enter and leave Canada freely, work for the government, vote, and run for public office. You benefit from special treaties with the United States, Mexico, and other countries.

Canadian citizenship cannot be taken away unless you obtained it fraudulently. Canada allows dual citizenship.

May my relatives join me in Canada?

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and you live in Canada, you may be able to sponsor your spouse, partner, dependent children, parents, or grandparents for permanent residence. You must agree to support them financially. In rare cases, you may be able to sponsor more distant relatives.

Your parents or grandparents may be able to obtain a multiple-entry “Super Visa”, which allows them to stay with you in Canada as long as two years at a time during the visa’s ten-year term. As their sponsor, you must agree to support them financially. The Super Visa is issued fairly quickly, within a couple of months.

When you sponsor a relative, both you and the relative must submit applications.

How can I hire foreign workers for my company?

There are many possibilities for hiring foreign workers either temporarily or permanently. Sometimes you must show that no qualified Canadian citizen or permanent resident is available for the position. Special advantageous programmes exist for some regions of Canada, certain professions, and French-speaking workers outside Québec. Many foreign workers are eligible for permanent residence immediately or after a period of work in Canada.

You may wish to retain counsel for assistance with hiring foreign workers.

May I hire a foreign housekeeper or caregiver?

You may be eligible to hire a foreign housekeeper or caregiver. The worker may live in or outside your home and may be eligible for permanent residence. The programmes change frequently. Typically an application takes several months, so you may wish to seek advice now if you plan to hire a domestic worker soon.

How may I become a refugee in Canada?

Some people outside Canada are referred for resettlement by the United Nations or a private sponsoring organisation. Most claimants, however, arrive in Canada—legally or otherwise—and claim refuge (asylum) either immediately at the port of entry or later at a designated immigration office.

If you claim refuge within Canada, you must show that you are a Convention refugee or a person in need of protection. To be a Convention refugee, you must demonstrate that you cannot safely return to your country on account of a well-founded fear of persecution on the grounds of race, religion, political opinion, nationality, or membership in a particular social group (such as women, gay people, or victims of domestic abuse). To be a person in need of protection, you must show that you cannot safely return to your country because you face a risk of torture, death, or cruel and unusual treatment or punishment.

Proving your claim and overcoming objections to it can be challenging. You may benefit from my expertise.

Must I hire a lawyer for immigration, citizenship, or refuge?

No. You may apply on your own. I did.

Many people, however, choose to hire a good lawyer who can advise them on their best options, prepare applications thoroughly and accurately in English or French, monitor changes in the law, save time, avoid costly mistakes, and if necessary fight for them in court.

You may need a lawyer if you have a criminal history anywhere in the world, have major medical or psychological problems, do not know English or French well, do not understand the complicated procedures, have been turned down before, or have special needs. You may prefer a lawyer if you are eager to maximise your chances of success and avoid delay.

After an initial consultation with me, you will know whether you can apply for immigration without further legal assistance.

How does an initial consultation work?

When you pay the fee, we set an appointment for 1½ hours at least, either in person or by telephone. You become a client of the law firm, and our discussions of your legal issues are privileged and confidential. You should speak freely, without embarrassment.

I listen to you and ask many questions to understand your goals, needs, and possibilities. I think about the many options for immigration and find those that may work for you. We discuss the options and the next steps that you can take to make them succeed. At the end of our meeting, you will know your best options and will be able to decide what to do.

After the initial consultation, you may decide to retain me as your lawyer to handle your legal matter.

I have been cheated by an immigration “consultant” in my country.

You are not alone. Thousands of people pose fraudulently as “consultants” having special inside knowledge of Canadian immigration or special influence over decision-makers. Such “consultants” often provide bad advice for the sake of quick money. One client lost thousands of dollars and more than a year on a “consultant” who offered a type of visa that does not exist in Canada.

Only a licensed professional may represent you for a fee in immigration proceedings. The immigration authorities will not deal with any paid “consultant”, “representative”, or “agent” who is not licensed; they are likely to reject or return your application if your paid representative is not authorised to act. The Canadian government now spends more than $10 million per year to combat fraudulent immigration and citizenship consultants.

Before hiring any “consultant”, especially outside Canada, demand proof that the person is authorised to represent you. As a lawyer, I may represent you in any proceeding related to immigration or citizenship.

If you have been cheated, please let me know. I can report the matter and try to obtain compensation for you. I can also take charge of your immigration and manage it properly.